Finished Toddler Dress

I finally finished making the up-cycled toddler dress (the dress made from a man’s dress shirt!).  Here it is:

011 012

I had seam rip the entire dress and start over.  I set in the sleeves and used my new serger to finish the inside seams.  Now I’m working on some pillow case dresses.  So, along with working on my garden, I’ll be busy sewing this week!  What are you working on right now?

My New Serger!

Words can’t describe how excited I am to finally own a serger!!!  After weeks of deliberating with my husband over whether or not I should invest in a serger, I finally found one and purchased it on Saturday!

I spent a couple of weeks researching and watching Craigslist to see what I could find.  On Friday night, I decided on a make and model I wanted.  So I began a thorough internet search.  And that search turned up an even better deal.  Instead of the Brother 1034D, I found a Juno by Janome 3434D on sale at Hancock fabrics.   After asking several friends about this machine (one of them has the same one!) I decided it was the machine for me.

Saturday afternoon we made our way to Hancock Fabrics (with both kids in tow) and purchased my machine.  Just yesterday Mary Anne (my former sewing instructor) came by and helped thread it.  It works beautifully and I am so excited to really learn to use it.

If you have a serger and have any tips, please leave them in the comments below!

Serger1